Age impacts all parts of the body, and the neck is no exception. As we age, our skin loses its elasticity and can sag, causing wrinkles and folds to appear. Additionally, fat can accumulate in this area, altering the neck’s sleek, youthful profile and contributing to an overall older look.
The experienced plastic surgeons at Legacy Plastic Surgery can help to determine if a neck lift is right for you. To arrange your confidential consultation, please contact us today online or at 610-756-1789. Our state-of-the-art facility in Exton, PA serves patients from Paoli, the Main Line, Chester County, Philadelphia, Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, and neighboring communities.
What Is a Neck Lift?
A neck lift is a cosmetic treatment aimed at enhancing the appearance of the neck and jawline. This treatment specifically targets signs of aging in the neck and beneath the jaw, helping to eliminate sagging excess skin and fat deposits. By doing so, a neck lift restores a smoother, firmer, and more defined appearance to these areas, contributing to a rejuvenated and youthful look.
What Are the Benefits of Neck Lift Surgery?
- Tightened and Toned Neck: A neck lift is a powerful neck contouring treatment that tightens sagging skin and muscles in the neck area. This toning effect rejuvenates the neck region, reducing the appearance of aging.
- Reduction of Wrinkles and Lines: Among the many neck lift benefits, one of the most significant is the reduction of wrinkles and fine lines. A neck lift smooths the skin, giving it a more youthful and fresh look.
- Enhanced Jawline Definition: Neck contouring through a neck lift doesn’t just improve the neck, it also enhances the jawline. By removing excess fat and skin, this treatment sharpens and defines the jawline, adding to the aesthetic appeal.
- Improved Neck Angle and Contour: A major neck lift benefit is the improvement of the neck angle and contour. Particularly for patients dealing with “turkey neck,” where the neck muscles have weakened and sagged, a neck lift tightens these muscles, restoring a natural and pleasing neck angle.
- Long-Lasting Results: A necklift procedure isn’t just a temporary solution. The results of this treatment are long-lasting, providing a sustained improvement to the appearance of the neck and jawline. This long-term impact is one of the major reasons why many people opt for a neck lift.
Types of Neck Lift Procedure
This necklift procedure specifically targets sagging skin on the neck. The treatment involves making incisions to remove the excess skin and then tightening the remaining skin to give a refreshed and youthful look.
As a more deep necklift treatment, platysmaplasty focuses on the platysma muscle, which extends on each side of the neck from the collarbone to the jawline. Over time, this muscle can separate and sag, leading to visible bands on the neck. A platysmaplasty tightens and repairs the platysma muscle, reducing these bands and restoring a smoother neck appearance.
For those seeking less invasive options, a mini necklift might be the right choice. This treatment involves smaller incisions and less recovery time than a traditional neck lift. It’s a great option for individuals with less sagging skin who still wish to address early signs of aging in the neck region.
Not all neck lift treatments are surgical. InMode FaceTite™, for instance, is a non-surgical treatment that uses radiofrequency to tighten the skin and melt away fat in the neck area. This state-of-the-art treatment offers a less invasive way to achieve the neck contouring results traditionally associated with surgical procedures, providing a great option for those not ready for surgery.
With many options to choose from, it is crucial that you meet personally with one of our skilled plastic surgeons to determine which procedure is best suited for your needs and goals. During your initial consultation, our skilled surgeon will discuss all of your options and help you make an informed decision.
Frequently Asked Questions About Neck Lifts
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Neck Lift?
Generally, good candidates for necklift surgery are individuals who are in good overall health, non-smokers, and those who have realistic expectations about the outcomes of the treatment. Most importantly, they are individuals who wish to improve the appearance of sagging skin, excess fat, or muscle banding in the neck area.
What Is the Recovery Process After a Neck Lift?
After a neck lift, patients usually experience some bruising and swelling, which will gradually subside over a few weeks. Pain medication can be used to manage discomfort, and patients are typically advised to keep their heads elevated and limit physical activity during the initial recovery period.
How Long Do the Results of a Neck Lift Last?
The results of necklift surgery are generally long-lasting. While a neck lift can’t stop the aging process, it can set back the clock by several years. Factors such as maintaining a stable weight and leading a healthy lifestyle can help prolong the results.
What Can I Expect From a Typical Neck Lift Procedure?
The process of a necklift procedure can vary significantly depending on the specific type of neck lift you and your surgeon decide on. Many necklift procedures will follow this step-by-step overview:
- Anesthesia: To begin, the patient is given anesthesia to ensure comfort throughout the procedure. This could be intravenous sedation, local anesthesia, or general anesthesia, depending on the individual’s needs and the surgeon’s recommendation.
- Making the Incisions: Once the patient is comfortable, the surgeon makes a series of incisions. These are often made around the ear lobe, extending around the back of the ear and ending in the hairline. In some cases, an additional small incision might be made under the chin.
- Tightening the Muscles and Removing Excess Fat: Through the incisions, the surgeon can access and tighten the underlying platysma muscle to restore firmer, smoother neck contours. If necessary, liposuction can be performed to remove excess fat deposits in the neck area.
- Trimming Excess Skin: The surgeon then trims away any excess skin that is contributing to a sagging or drooping appearance.
- Closing the Incisions: Once the necessary adjustments have been made, the surgeon closes the incisions with sutures. These sutures may be dissolvable, or they may need to be removed in a follow-up visit.
- Recovery: After the procedure, a bandage may be gently placed around the face and neck to minimize swelling and bruising. Detailed post-treatment care instructions will be provided, and a follow-up appointment will be scheduled to monitor the healing process.
Schedule Your Neck Lift Consultation Today
If you would like to learn more about the neck lift procedures offered at Legacy Plastic Surgery & Aesthetics, you can call us today at (610) 756-1789 to schedule your personal consultation. We proudly welcome men and women from Exton, Paoli, the Main Line, Chester County, Philadelphia, Eastern Pennsylvania, and other communities throughout the state, as well as Delaware and surrounding areas.