Although everyone’s skin will reveal the signs of aging differently, no one is immune to growing older. Eventually, skin and muscles of the face and neck become lax, wrinkles and creases form on the forehead and once-firm jawlines develop jowls.
While there are a number of non-surgical procedures that can address some symptoms of facial aging, the most effective, long-lasting facial rejuvenation results are achieved through a surgical facelift. While other options deal with the top layers of skin, a facelift addresses issues deep below the surface of your skin, including facial muscles and other connective tissues.
At Legacy Plastic Surgery & Aesthetics in Exton, PA, we are leading the way in these transformative treatments, focusing on delivering visible, long-lasting results. With a deep understanding of the underlying facial structures, we offer solutions that have a significant and enduring impact. Our facelift procedures are performed with expertise, leading to tangible improvements in the appearance of the face and neck.
What Is a Facelift?
A facelift, also known as a rhytidectomy, is a surgical treatment designed to give the face a more youthful appearance. It works by removing excess facial skin and tightening underlying tissues. The procedure typically focuses on the lower half of the face and can significantly reduce sagging, creases, and other signs of aging. We perform several different types of facelifts to help our clients achieve a fresher, younger look.
What Are the Benefits of a Face Lift?
When it comes to reversing the visible signs of aging, a rhytidectomy stands as a powerful option. It can effectively tighten loose skin, lift sagging features, and restore volume where it’s been lost due to aging, creating a more vibrant and youthful appearance.
One of the primary benefits of facelift surgery is its effectiveness in reducing wrinkles and fine lines. By tightening the skin and underlying tissue, it smooths out wrinkles and gives the face a smoother, fresher appearance.
A facelift can also redefine the contours of the face. This treatment can sculpt and tighten the jawline, cheeks, and chin, enhancing the overall structure and balance of the face, and offering a rejuvenated aesthetic.
Unlike many non-surgical alternatives, the results of a facelift procedure are not only impressive but also long-lasting. With proper care and a healthy lifestyle, the results can last for many years, making it a lasting investment in your appearance.
No two faces are the same which is why each facelift at our practice is customized to the individual. We carefully evaluate your facial structure, skin quality, and aesthetic goals to create a treatment plan that suits your specific needs.
Improved Muscle Tone
In addition to skin tightening, a facelift can also improve muscle tone in the facial structure. By addressing the underlying supportive tissue, the treatment enhances facial firmness and contributes to a more youthful appearance.
Rejuvenation of the Neck
While the neck can be specifically targeted with a neck lift, a facelift can also offer significant improvements to this area. By addressing loose skin and muscles in the lower face and neck, both treatments work in synergy to create a cohesive, refreshed look.
What Are the Different Types of Face Lift Surgery?
We use a variety of facelift techniques in order to provide you with world-class, individualized results. With different processes, outcomes, and recoveries, these techniques allow us to fully customize your procedure and address your unique needs and goals.
Depending on your facial structure and expected outcomes, we may recommend:
- Traditional facelift: Also known as a full facelift, traditional facelifts focus on the mid-face, jowls, and neck. By including the neck area in a full facelift, many refer to this aspect of the procedure as a neck lift. During a traditional facelift, excess skin, muscle, and tissue are pulled back to create a natural-looking, more youthful appearance. This helps to address sagging jowls, wrinkles, and other common signs of aging.
- Mini facelift: Mini facelifts target specific areas that need to be addressed without extensive corrections involved with a full facelift. Mini facelifts usually target sagging neck muscles, jowls, neck fat, and sagging facial skin. Since a mini facelift is somewhat less involved than a traditional lift, recovery is usually quicker. This procedure is an ideal option if you’re beginning to notice early signs of aging and don’t need a full facelift just yet.
- Mid-facelift: As its name implies, this procedure concentrates on the mid-face. It restores a smooth, youthful appearance to your cheeks and lower eyelids. It is often recommended for patients who experience sagging cheeks, lost jaw definition, and deep wrinkles across the cheeks and from the corners of the nose, but few other visible signs of aging.
- SMAS lift: This type of facelift utilizes the Superficial Musculo-Aponeurotic System (SMAS) technique. The SMAS lift tightens the underlying layer of connective tissue and restores youthful firmness from deep below the skin, not just superficially. Because of the structural nature of the procedure, results last much longer.
- FaceTite™ by InMode: This is a minimally invasive lifting and tightening procedure for people who require mild to moderate correction. The entire procedure is performed through a few tiny pin-prick holes in the face, resulting in essentially zero scarring and minimal downtime.
What to Expect From a Facelift Procedure
Step 1: Consultation
The first step toward your results is a personal consultation. During this meeting, we’ll discuss your aesthetic goals, evaluate your facial structure, and assess your overall health. This is the time to ask any questions and express any concerns you may have about the treatment.
Step 2: Choosing the Right Treatment
Based on your consultation, we will recommend the best facelift treatment for you. Your individual aesthetic aims and expectations play a crucial role in this decision, ensuring you get the best results from your facelift treatment.
Step 3: Your Facelift Surgery
During your facelift procedure, excess skin is removed, and underlying tissues and muscles are tightened. This is performed under anesthesia to ensure comfort. We take the utmost care to make incisions in areas where they will be well-hidden to minimize visible scarring.
Step 4: Facelift Surgery Recovery
After your facelift treatment, some swelling and bruising are expected, which will gradually subside. We’ll provide detailed post-treatment care instructions to facilitate a smooth recovery. It’s important to take it easy during the recovery period to ensure the best possible results from your treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions About Facelift Surgery
Am I a Good Candidate for a Facelift?
Candidates for a facelift are typically those who have noticeable signs of aging on the face and neck, such as sagging skin, deep creases, or loss of muscle tone. It’s important that candidates are in good health, do not smoke, and have healthy expectations for the outcome of the treatment.
How Long Does Facelift Surgery Take?
The duration of the surgery depends on the specific type of facelift being performed and the individual patient’s needs. A mini facelift, for example, can typically be completed in two to three hours. More extensive treatments may require additional time.
Will There Be Visible Scarring After a Facelift?
With any facelift surgery, there will be some degree of scarring. However, we take great care to place incisions in discrete locations, such as along the hairline or behind the ears, where they can be easily concealed. Over time, the scars will fade and become less noticeable.
How Long Do the Results of a Facelift Last?
The results of a facelift can last for many years, particularly when accompanied by a healthy lifestyle. While a facelift cannot stop the aging process, it can significantly turn back the clock, and you will continue to look younger than if you had never had the treatment.
Interested in Facelift Surgery? Take the Next Step
At Legacy Plastic Surgery & Aesthetics in Exton, PA, we take a patient-centered approach to all of our procedures, including our facelifts. Drs. Kim and Wingate both believe in thoroughly educating patients about their options, allowing them to make an informed decision that aligns with their goals. We understand the significance of your decision to undergo a facelift, and we are committed to providing clear and detailed information to guide you through the process.
To learn more about how a facelift can help you achieve a more youthful and refreshed appearance, we invite you to reach out to us. You can call us at (610) 756-1789 to schedule a consultation or fill out our online form, and we will get back to you promptly. Take the first step toward achieving your aesthetic goals.